Rules for Learner Motorbike Riders

Just as with learner drivers, learner riders must follow a set of rules to ensure that they keep within the confines of the law whilst learning to ride a motorcycle and also to ensure their own safety and the safety of those around them.

What Age Can Your Ride a Motorbike?

A rider must be at least sixteen years of age before he or she can apply for their provisional licence; if you are sixteen years of age or over with a provisional licence you can take your theory test. You must be at least sixteen to take the theory test and must have a provisional licence. The age to take your practical test depends on what type of motorbike you want to ride.

Before you can apply for your motorcycle test you will need to have completed a Compulsory Basic Training course - and you will be asked to show this certificate when you take your test.

Correct Equipment

When you take your test you'll be expected to show that you know your bike and that you are wearing the correct clothing. The reason this is part of the test is that protective clothing is vital if you come off your motorbike. You should always wear protective clothing, even if it takes a little longer to get ready to go out for a ride. Check the details of the protective clothing you will need whenever you ride your motorbike.

Is your Bike Roadworthy?

You must ensure at all times that your motorcycle or moped is road legal and that it has a valid MOT (Ministry of Transport) certificate. Without this MOT certificate, the motorbike cannot legally be driven on public roads. Being in charge of a motorbike or moped that does not have a valid MOT certificate is a criminal offence that could result in a hefty fine or points on your licence.

You must ensure also that all lights, tyres, mirrors and electrical elements of your vehicle are fit for purpose.

Again an important rule when purchasing such a vehicle – especially if it is classed as ‘used’ – is to have someone with a degree of experience accompany you. Avoid purchasing vehicles that have short periods of MOT remaining or do not have a registration document (V5).

Insurances and Taxes

As with a car or any other vehicle is taken on public roads you must ensure that your motorcycle or moped is correctly taxed and insured before you do so. Taking any vehicle onto a public road or highway without the correct insurance or tax in place is a criminal offence and could result in a fine and driving licence endorsements.

Are You Displaying ‘L’ Plates?

The answer to this question should be yes. You should not be using any vehicle on a public highway without ‘L’ plates if you are not a fully qualified driver or rider. Magnetic plates are now very popular and can be easily removed if another rider wishes to use the bike.

Riding a Motorbike on the Motorway

You should not drive any vehicle on a motorway if you are a learner driver. You are only permitted to drive a vehicle on a motorway upon successfully passing your practical test and becoming a full licence holder. Bear in mind too, that in the UK motorbikes under 50cc are NOT allowed on the motorways at all.

As a learner rider, it is your responsibility to ensure that you know the legal requirements and sticks to them. Failure to do so could delay or prevent you from taking your practical test and getting out onto the open road legally.


Disclaimer: The information in the article is for general purpose information only and should not be constituted as legal advice. This article has been produced by a third party and Jardine Motors does not take any responsibility for the completeness, accuracy, or reliability with respect to the website or the information provided. Article last updated March 2016.